Later this month, I’m heading to my first blogging conference – Allume. I’m looking forward to spending several days in Pennsylvaniawith hundreds of other Christian women bloggers.
Even though regular Accidentally Green readers know an awful lot about me by now, my soon-to-be Allume friends don’t. Today I’m taking a break from my regular content and introducing myself (in an insanely long post) just in time for Allume:
At that time, I began looking into common parenting decisions made in the first year of a child’s life, and was astonished at just how unhealthy many of them are. Aside from changing the way my family lives, I began writing Accidentally Green because I had to share the information I’ve found.
Accidentally Green began as my first (still unpublished) book. However, once my manuscript was finished and I looked for an agent, I discovered the importance of having a platform. I began blogging on Jan. 1, 2011, partially as a way to build a platform, but mainly as a way to help readers learn how to make healthy decisions that honor God – and happen to help the environment.
I’ve loved blogging. I love writing every day, I love interacting with readers, and I love knowing that I can make a difference in this world one person at a time.
In the past year, I’ve written my first eBook, First Bites. It’s the book I wish I had when I became a new parent. When I was starting out as a new mom, I wanted my baby to become a healthy eater, but I had no idea where to begin. After a lot of research and trial and error, I learned how breastfeeding and formula feeding are so different, why making your own baby food is healthier and cheaper than store bought food, and also what common food choices are harmful to children.
First Bites includes all of this information, along with a timeline when certain foods can be introduced into a baby’s diet, and stories from other moms. This book educates parents who want their babies to have a healthy start, but don’t have the time to do all of the research. I’m excited to finally launch First Bites this Thursday!
Top 5 things I hope to gain from Allume
Even though I don’t have many expectations for this weekend, I do have five things I hope to gain:
1. I would love to finally understand why God wants me there.
2. I’m looking forward to learning a lot about blogging from women who have done it a lot longer than I have.
3. I hope that I will be able to come home with a lot of great ideas to implement through Accidentally Green.
4. Recently I’ve been partnering with other bloggers to promote the launch of my eBook. Some of these women are going to Allume and I can’t wait to meet them face to face!
5. Spending time with women rejuvenates my spirit in an amazing way. Three days of girlfriend time sounds like it could be pretty wonderful.
10 things my Allume roomies need to know about me
1. I am pretty laid back and easygoing; if I say I don’t mind or something doesn’t matter, I mean it.
2. I have a hard time getting going in the morning. I hate setting an alarm clock.
3. I also like to be on time, even though I’m typically running late. (I realize this sounds absolutely ridiculous. And it is!) Hopefully my whole timeliness factor will outweigh my slow morning starts.
4. This weekend is the longest I will have been away from my two babies. I’m kind of nervous about this. And I miss them already.
5. Before I leave on a trip I always feel the need to thoroughly clean my house. Even though my husband and children will be staying at home while I’m gone, I’ll be in a cleaning frenzy the day before I leave.
6. I also always wonder if I’ll make it home from a trip. (Don’t worry. I don’t have a certain feeling that something will happen on the trip – I just know that tomorrow is not a guarantee.) Because of this, I’ll make sure Prince Charming knows where all of our important documents and passwords are kept before I leave.
7. Unfortunately – or fortunately – I wrote about bedbugs this summer for Accidentally Green. The thought of them now freaks me out. The good news is that Logic Product Group sent me bedbug repellant spray. The good or bad news, depending on your opinion, is that I’m packing it for this weekend.
8. Fortunately the bedbug spray is all-natural and has a pleasant, non-bug-sprayish fragrance. And I am more than willing to share it!
9. Even though I devote so much time to blogging, I am a technological dinosaur. I don’t text. I won’t be tweeting updates during the weekend. I don’t have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod. And I haven’t even decided if I’ll bring my computer.
10. I love spending time with friends – new and old. Because of this, I can hardly wait to meet you!